So I went back to the sunflower recipe for this batch (using the correct amount of water this time!) A qucik side note. Batch 2 is super hard (after a week of curing!). I’ve never had a soap bar be so hard so quick (not even my coconut oil-cocoa butter bars). Now I’m really interested to see how the next couple batches turn out to see if they get hard too. I can’t really use the first batch to judge by since I had extra water in it which would make it softer.
15 oz. sunflower seed oil, high oleic
15 oz. sweet almond oil
10 oz. avocado oil
10 oz. coconut oil, 76 degree
5 oz. palm oil
Lye: 7.5 oz.
Water/Milk by volume: 18.15 oz
For this batch I used goat’s milk I got from my local health food store. I froze it before hand. Then slowly added lye to it (this process took over an hour!) I had it in an ice bath like the last two batches and I didn’t let temps get above 80 degrees.
1. The milk was much “whiter” than the evaporated milk so I had a much whiter mix. It was a really light orange after I had all the lye mixed.
2. I think this is a product of keeping my mixture temps so low but each time after I’ve mixed in the lye my mix has been thick and creamy not liquidy (like the milk is before you freeze it). I’ve still added it as is to the oils. It takes some stick blending (my pour stick blend gets hot and I have to give it breaks…it works hard) but I haven’t had any problems getting it to eventually reach trace.
One thing I’ve noticed in all these batches is I still get the ammonia smell. It wasn’t nearly as bad when I added the lye slowly, but it was still there and it still over powers the EO when I first add it. That said by the time I unmold the cured soap it’s been gone, so I think it’s just a “side effect” that I won’t be able to avoid, but won’t affect the soap in anyway.
Once the lye was all mixed in with the milk I added it to the oils and stick blended it. I stick blended for a fair amount of time and only ever reached a light trace, but it set up just fine. This go around I used an Eucalyptus & Spearmint Essential Oil blend, per the request of my friend. I used my 2 1/2lb silicon molds for this. I poured half the batch into one mold which I left out lightly insulated (just some newspaper on top) and the other I put in the fridge to prevent gel phase.
The batch I put in the fridge I left in there for 12 hours then removed it. It was well and truly cool and it didn’t go through the gel phase at all. It set up fine. The other one did heat up but it didn’t really go through a gel phase.
The fridge soap ended up coming out darker than the one left out. Go figure. I figured it would be the reverse since when all my soaps go through the gel phase they get darker in color.
I unmolded and cut both of these after 24 hours. This batch was harder at this point than the first one I did with this recipe, but it was still soft. I think next time I might leave it 36 hours before cutting. With the low percentage of coconut oil and palm oil in this recipe I think it’s going to be a softer batch no mater what.
As with the last two batches all I have is a lovely eucalyptus and spearmint scented soap. No ammonia! I actually like this fragrance 100 time more in the soap than in the bottle. So I was surprised and pleased by that. I think this will be a really nice and soothing scented soap. And it feels silky smooth like the first batch I tried. So excited to use these soaps!
Stay Tuned for my thoughts on Batch 4 tomorrow.