This isn’t really a challenge…and I wasn’t sure how to make it a challenge for me. You see I’ve been piping soap for over a year now. I fell in love with a soap cupcake I saw when I first started making soap and I HAD to learn how to make my own. A year of practice and to me piping is just fun! It took me a lot of practice, but now I think I could do it in my sleep.
Cupcakes aren’t the most practical soap to use, but they can be used. I typically separate the top from the bottom for use. Most people who buy cupcakes do display them. That’s part of why they paid more for them in the first place because they wanted to show them off. Most people I talk with who buy them use the cupcakes eventually. For me soap making isn’t just about making an awesome bar of soap. Yes, I want a great bar of soap to use, but I also like to create soaps that make people smile, that fascinate them, that they proudly show off.
What I decided to do was finish up some Soap Sundaes I was working on (which just needed the whipped cream pipped and chocolate sauce added).
I’m also including pictures of my cupcakes I’ve worked on in the past couple months. I don’t need more right now so I didn’t make a new batch for this challenge, but all of these are less than two month old cupcakes.
And to finish up the challenge I started working on another soap cake. I did my first one about a month ago (see the picture below) and it turned out okay, but there was a lot of stuff I needed to improve on.
I had poured two soap bases this time. I had my well sketched and planned out cakes. And of course they turned out nothing like what I was planning. I’m finding soap is much harder to pipe flowers with than icing is. When I went to frost the cake my soap mixture seized. I’ve decided that I’ll put a fragrance in the base, but I’m no longer adding vanilla to the frosting because it just makes it too hard to work with.
I went with a deep pink and yellow. Yes, the picture is orange right now :) Micas and lye…this picture was taken just after I finished. In twenty four hours the orange should change to yellow.
Here are some up close shots. Still not happy with my pipping 100%. I’ve gotta test all my tips I think. See how they work…what I can do with them…and then try another cake.
After curing for 24 hours the yellow was still orange…but you could see it was changing. I spritzed the heck out of them with rubbing alcohol in hopes that they wouldn’t pick up that little bit of white ash that the first cake got. It still got some, but not as much. I also tried to pipe less “fine” detail in hopes that when the soap dried and “shrunk” I wouldn’t get breaks in some of the pipping like I did on the first one. Overall, it was better than my first attempt, but still needs work. These are so much work I’m not sure it’s worth making them, but they are fun and they do challenge me. So I guess when there’s an occasion for it I might make them but for now…I’m done experimenting with these. They’re just not worth the effort. And I don’t have a picture of the final one because as of Saturday morning (now) it’s still a mix of yellow and orange.