I’ve never done this method before…though I’d been hearing a lot about it and would probably have been tempted to try it sooner or later. Amy’s challenge just made it sooner! I tried it on two soaps this week. I had to make a soap for Bramble Berry’s soap swap. I already knew what I wanted to do for that soap design and it just happened that it actually worked out perfectly with experimenting with a mica top.
I was just going to use one colors but decided it needed to be two (two match the inside). I’m glad I went with two! (Who needs to play it safe first attempt???). Ha, luckily I knew the fragrance I was working with wouldn’t set up too quickly so it all worked out. Lesson learned: A little bit goes a long way! I used a bit too much. The oil does “spread” out as it starts to settled and I ended up losing some of the swirls I had because of it.
Batch 1: Blackberry-Sage Fragrance / Teal-White-Gray Color Scheme
Here you can see the oils moving and messing up the nice swirl (too much oil). I also learned don’t spritz with alcohol. It also affected the swirl making it kind of shift the oils together.
You can see where the spritzing it with alcohol ruined the swirls…kind of made it all blur together.
This soap is going to be submitted to Bramble Berry as part of the Soap Swap…but don’t worry! I made a 10lb batch! So I’ll have plenty of bars left over. They’ll be listed on my webpage in about 6 weeks time!
Then I made a pineapple-mango batch…this was supposed to be a kids soap…but the initial embeds I was making were NOT working so I ended up just dumping it into some of my individual rectangular silicon molds. The color them was black and pink (not exactly “pineapple-mango” colors, but like I said it was supposed to be a kids soap that I ended up turning into a normal batch). Love the fragrance. And I love the design/colors even if they don’t make me thing “fruit.”
One thing I learned is that this fragrance ACCELERATES! (It’s why I had to abandoned the first project). I set aside a small amount that I didn’t add any fragrance to so I could pour it on top and still do a nice mica swirl. Thank goodness I did! It’d have never worked otherwise. It was was too thick. I had some left over and I poured it into a smaller 2lb batch. I tried the mica swirl just to see and it didn’t work!
Batch 2: Pineapple-Mango Fragrance / Pink-Black-White Color Theme
This is what happens when you try it on soap that’s super thick…not really very pretty! These bars will be going to family member anyway as they’re less than perfect. The main batch came out lovely though so I’m happy.
Here’s one cut with the top.
Okay…that’s enough pictures. I just couldn’t narrow down my choices this week! I really like this technique. You can fancy up a soap pretty easily! You’ll be seeing more of it in the future from me!