I tried two different batches of this soap. Neither one was really a success, but I learned what to do for next time I try this technique.
The first batch I did was Berrywine & Moroccan Mint. The fragrance is awesome. I did the body of the soap in berrywine and the spots in mint. The problem was (even with a relatively slow moving berrywine) the mint would not thicken! I didn’t matter how much I stick blended. So as you can see in the pics the white section just flatten out as I tried to carefully cover the spots. It’s actually a cool looking soap. I do like it…it’s just not what I was going for.
I dusted the top of this soap with merlot mica (which is what I used to color the base). I like the effect.
Attempt two: Clove bud and orange. I needed to restock on this. It’s from my standard essential oil line. I wanted to use colors that were a bit more fun, but had to stick with natural colorants. I’m surprised the center spot isn’t darker. I did mix it with the white, but it’s got clove bud and orange EO in it! Those two are dark and always discolor! This one I did get “spots” but I think they’re not thick enough. They look more like two-toned clouds floating in my soap than spots!
I love these challenges. They force me to try new things or come up with new variations on techniques I use. It’s like exercising the mind and my creativity! I hope we get more in the future!