I recently learned about dryer balls. The first time I used them I fell in love with them. Of course that led to me wondering how hard they were to make. Well after reading a bunch of different blogs on how to make them I decided to give it a go. I’ve tried two different methods and then kind of combined the two.
Before I get into them let me explain what they are and why they’re so awesome!
1. They are an Eco-friendly alternative to the conventional dryer sheet.
2. They do more than a dryer sheet by pulling the moisture out of your clothes so you don’t have to run your dryer as long, saving you time and money.
3. They reduce static just like dryer sheets do.
4. They soften your clothes like liquid fabric softener when they’re bouncing around your dryer, but unlike fabric softener they don’t have harsh chemicals.
I first tried wool yarn. They gave me nice round balls, but it took me 6 hours to wrap the eight balls you see here! I have to tie off the ends and then these are ready to go into the wash.
Then I tried just using wool roving to make the entire ball (much less time consuming)! I actually think I like this method better. My first balls were pretty bad (they’re going to my mom :D – She doesn’t care that they’re a little to small and misshaped.) Once I got a hang of how to wrap it it went went pretty smoothly.
Then I used the wool string to start a small ball to act as the base. And used wool roving to be the outside.
I don’t think I’ll continue this. I ended up having a hard time making the ball round. I know it seems like it’d be easier but it was harder to get the roving wool wrapped around the yarn in a nice round shape.
I meant to take a picture before these went in the wash, but I forgot. So here they are after the wash. The roving wool balls have shrunk considerably. The yarn ones not at all. It really doesn’t look like the yarn balls felted. They did a little (and I used 100% wool that’s not machine washable so I know that’s not the problem). I’ll try a set out in the dryer and see how they hold up…
Here they are removed from nylon after two washes. The top three sets (which were the later ones I made) came out really well. I know it doesn’t quite look like it in the photo but they’re pretty round and the size I was going for and they felted really nicely!
The maroon and brown are the yarn. They seem pretty sturdy, but just not very felted so we’ll see how they hold up. Then the bottom are my rejects. Not round…too small…but hey you’ve gotta have a learning curve. Good thing I don’t mind using my rejects :D