This month’s challenged fascinated me and I knew I’d have a bit of time to actually attempt some soaps with it so I signed up. The design is cool, my attempts—not so much.
Attempt 1: WAY to liquidy-runny
They said you needed a really light trace…and that the soap shouldn’t be thick. I did super thin trace and well that was a disaster. I ended up halfway through stopping the batch I was making going back to my liquids and stick blending them to thicken them up some and then starting a new loaf. Still wasn’t thick enough and you can see how fluid this batch looks as everything just kind of ran into everything.
Attempt 1a: Left over soap…
Attempt 2: *shakes my head* (That is all I can say…)
I didn’t have any clean skirt bottles so I thought I’d use piping bags…You should have seen the mess I made…hence the head shaking. This soap was better than the first but still didn’t turn out great. First off the black got a little too thick and the white was still too runny. It was not a fun combo to work with.
Attempt 3: Too thick
After the previous failed attempts at a really like trace soap I finally tried a batch at a medium trace. That ended up being too thick. I just couldn’t win. And oh my the glycerin rivers on this soap! All I did was wrap it in a blanket to insulate this one and I got this craziness. I swear the fragrance had to affect it somehow because I’ve never quite seen rivers like this, though I do wonder if it could be the TD (different supplier than I normally use).
In the end I really wasn’t happy with any of the soaps. This method is super time consuming and doesn’t work for my loaf soaps, so it’s not one I’m likely to do again, but I gave it a go!