Piping Challenge

September 16, 2016

I started this challenge with the idea to do a flower scene. Then I read the “rules” for entering and I realized my idea wouldn’t meet those requirements.  Bummed I played around with some random piping of flowers, but I was uninspired and didn’t like what I was doing. And may I mention I REALLY REALLY REALLY dislike piping flowers.  I don’t know what it is about them, but they’re not fun for me. Yes, they’re pretty and people like them, but it’s like having a tooth pulled for me–NOT FUN!




I was almost ready to call it quits and just say forget about it, when I remembered years and years ago I did some mini soaps of Oscar and Cookie Monster.  Remaking those as large versions appealed to me and I was re-inspired to making something.  What follows is the process it took to make these.  Way too much work and not something I plan to make more of, but for the challenge they were fun.

*UPDATE* I still couldn’t entered my character soaps. When entering I realized it also said “no embellishments” so that takes my character soaps out of the running. Don’t know where my brain’s been lately!

Since I was making a “face” I needed to pre-make several pieces: eyes, mouth, and cookies.  I did these by pouring soap into a circle mold, unmolding, and then slicing them in thin pieces and then cutting those pieces in half (for the cookies and mouths).



Next I made the base of the characters.  Gray for Oscar (since he is sitting in his garbage can) and brown for Cookie Monster (because I didn’t want an all blue soap).  I filled the base only half way (I used two different cupcake molds because I like the different effects for each character).  Then I piped their bodies.



I used tip 233 to make their “fur” or body.  Because we had to use at least two tones in one element of piping I did two different color greens for Oscar, which I love how they turned out.  And two different blues (light and a dark) for Cookie, but the blues kind of melded together and there’s not a lot of distinction between them. I was a little bummed over that, but they still look cute.

After piping their tops I then embedded the eyes, mouth, and cookies.




From there I had to pipe the eye balls on the white eye pieces.  I used tip 10.  I also had to pipe the eye brows for Oscar.  I used tip 16.  Lastly I had to pipe the “tongue” on to Oscar’s mouth.  I used tip 3 for that.

Overall I really like them.  They’re cute.  They’re different.  But best of all they’re not flowers ;).




I had had some left over soap from another batch of embeds I was making and so I just poured it into some round mold cavities I had.  I didn’t know what to do with them.  I had leftover soap better for Oscar and Cookie and I was like I’ll pipe the rest on top of the extra round soaps.  I liked it. More so than the cupcake ones.  If I ever do anything like this again I’ll probably use that as a base as opposed to cupcake holders.



And a bonus: Mummies!  I had left over soap again from a different batch and I knew I was going to be piping for the challenge so I made black bases, know I could turn them into mummies.  It’s made me really tempted to make other Halloween faces now like pumpkins, monsters, and whatever else I can think up!



And there you have it: my piped soaps.

Great Opportunity, Amazing Experience

August 11, 2012

At the end of June I was contacted by The Cotting School, a school for children with special needs, if I’d be willing to participate in their summer program.  Every Wednesday they were having a different presentation on  some aspect of hygiene.  The director wanted to know if I’d come in one afternoon and do a presentation on the history of soap and talk about how soap was made.

I accepted.  I’d gotten into soap making because I was researching the history of it.  I had all my notes and information on that still.  I pulled them out and worked on putting together a presentation.  For the second half I put together a series of slides showing the process of making soap.  I brought in some of the ingredients I use as well as the equipment.  The day before I’d made a small batch so I could bring it in and unmold it and show the students how I cut the soap.

It all went over really well.  Then it was time for a Q&A session.  I have to say I was amazed by these students.  They asked some great questions!  Questions that showed they were processing what I’d told them and thinking about how I applied it to my business.  They were AWESOME!  I have to admit I was a bit nervous going into this.  I’d never done a presentation to children before, but it all turned out great!

Yesterday I got to go participate in their “Wares Fair.”  The students all work on making different products (note cards, magnets, calendars, dog beds…) and then they sell them.  It’s a fundraiser for the school.  I was asked to participate and sell my soaps.  Many of the students remembered me (so heart warming) and they were all awesome.  It was a great day.  I’m donating a part of my proceeds to the school.  It’s just a small way I can say thank you to them for letting me participate.  I’m so blessed to have had this experience.

Embedded “Kid” Soaps

April 29, 2011

Make bath time extra fun! Embed an eraser into your bar of soap! You can put it a clear/see through (transparent) base so the kids can see that there is a surprise in there they can work towards! Or you can embed it in opaque soap so it’s a complete surprise when they start to see the eraser!

Pictures below the cut!

Read the rest of this entry »