May 13, 2015
I’m less than thrilled with my work on these soaps. I ran out of time and I rushed and when I rush…things just don’t go as I planned. They’re okay, but by no means anything special.
Dessert 1: Coconut covered petit fours. I think these are cute, but completely pointless as a soap. I made my CP cubes then coated them in clear MP and dipped them in dried coconut.
Dessert 2: Decorative petit fours. If I’d done a better job at pipping I’d be happier with these. The cubes are CP. The decorative parts are mostly CP piped with MP soap fondant for the flowers. And a couple of them I used the sugar pearls on.
Dessert 3: Mini Cakes. CP soap with MP soap fondant and sugar pearls. Let’s just say getting all those sugar pearls on these was a pain in the backside :)! Oh my word. I do like the effect of these, but again it’s not really a “useful” soap and it took me WAY too long to accomplish these.
Dessert 4: Mini Bundt Cake. Let’s just say this one was a complete disaster and leave it at that :P.
There you have it…a less than stellar set of mini soap desserts *sigh*
March 18, 2015
I love sunflowers. My mom plants them in her yard every year. As I was looking for some new fragrances to try I came across one called sunflower. I thought it’s the dead of winter (and we were in the middle of our THIRD massive snow storm here in New England). I was ready for spring to come. So I purchased the fragrance.
I didn’t know what to do with it though so I went online and searched “sunflower” hoping to come up with some ideas. Came across this photo:
And I thought it’s be really cool if I could create a field of sunflowers! The only way I could figure out how to do it realistically was to pipe them (so much work, but so worth it).
The first layer is brown with coffee grinds in it to create the speckled dirt layer. Then I created the field of “grass” and “stems” and “leaves” by using three different greens and swirling them. Then I piped the sunflowers on top.
This was the result: Field of Sunflowers
Alternate Field of Sunflowers
The first layer is brown with coffee grinds in it to create the speckled dirt layer. The difference in this one is I only swirled two greens and made actually “stems” and “leaves” in the dark green.
It’s a little more realistic. I like the first version better. There’s something about the abstractness of it I just love, but this one is still really pretty too. I’m not as happy with the yellow on this one. It got a little too dark for my liking, but if you didn’t have it to compare to the first I probably would have been happy ha!
August 15, 2013
So this month’s attempt turned out much better than last months…but it still had it’s problems. Mainly me not thinking :-P. I wanted to swirl blue and yellow…the problem with that was when you mix blue and yellow you get green! So the color theme didn’t quite end up how I wanted. That said I still think it’s a pretty neat looking soap.
I also tried a modified version of the challenge. I embedded a heart on the bottom and then poured a swirled soap into that (and didn’t do a top layer). I really liked that soap.
Two new soaps! It was fun and I’ll use this technique again for sure!
July 10, 2013
I’ve done the mantra swirl before. I’m not a big fan of it simply because of the set up of having three dividers… I know I find three dividers more work than embeds :D …what can I say. This time I restocked on my Berrywine & Mint. I did two colors in berrywine and one color in mint…the berrywine set up fast and the mint stayed liquid as liquid can be. This is not a good combination for creating a mantra swirl!
The colors are pretty and it smells good! But it’s not really what I’d call a mantra swirl.
(Sorry for the not great pics. Had to take them at night. Life is crazy and I barely have time to keep up with blog posts these days!)
April 27, 2013
I tried two different batches of this soap. Neither one was really a success, but I learned what to do for next time I try this technique.
The first batch I did was Berrywine & Moroccan Mint. The fragrance is awesome. I did the body of the soap in berrywine and the spots in mint. The problem was (even with a relatively slow moving berrywine) the mint would not thicken! I didn’t matter how much I stick blended. So as you can see in the pics the white section just flatten out as I tried to carefully cover the spots. It’s actually a cool looking soap. I do like it…it’s just not what I was going for.
I dusted the top of this soap with merlot mica (which is what I used to color the base). I like the effect.
Attempt two: Clove bud and orange. I needed to restock on this. It’s from my standard essential oil line. I wanted to use colors that were a bit more fun, but had to stick with natural colorants. I’m surprised the center spot isn’t darker. I did mix it with the white, but it’s got clove bud and orange EO in it! Those two are dark and always discolor! This one I did get “spots” but I think they’re not thick enough. They look more like two-toned clouds floating in my soap than spots!
I love these challenges. They force me to try new things or come up with new variations on techniques I use. It’s like exercising the mind and my creativity! I hope we get more in the future!
June 11, 2012
I can’t say no to a challenge…especially when it involves soap! Amy’s soap challenges just finished for the summer and I was having withdrawals…well I wasn’t…not quite yet. I’ve been flat out too busy wit markets, fairs and restocks, but trust me it would have hit me the instant I had two minutes to sit and think! :)
Now Bramble Berry (a.k.a Soap Queen) is having a series of challenges too. The first one is MP Layers. And I have an idea! I have to actually custom make a mold for it! So that will be the first challenge. Go check it out and come join in the fun! You know you want to!
Find the challenge here: Melt and Pour Layers